Computer security includes all the means to protect the integrity and confidentiality of information stored in a computer system. In other words, it uses technical tools to prevent intrusion, improper use or transformation of the information system. It can be both physical and software and is used to protect computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks against malicious attacks.
Computer security also combats cybercrime in which individuals or groups of people attack information systems in order to claim a substantial sum; the cyber warfare of extracting information for political purposes; and the cyberterrorism of attacking systems to provoke worry and fear. The different attacks can take the form of viruses, worms, software or Trojans. They can also be transmitted through removable media such as USB sticks or hard drives.
It is based on the following points:
- Integrity: ensuring the authenticity of information, data
- Confidentiality: block intruders, avoid the spread of data
- Availability: ensure the permanence of access to information
- No-repudiation: certify that a transfer of information can only be attributed to the author of the transaction
- Authentication: Access to data is only possible to authorized persons.
How to secure your tool or computer system?
A computer system can make use of its protection against an antivirus program, a firewall, the use of access codes or passwords, cryptographic algorithms, the setting up of VPN tunnels, security policies, authentication methods, network monitoring, encryption of connections, etc.